John Leary is a GRSM partner based in the Seattle, Washington office. In addition to Washington, John is licensed in California, Nevada, Utah, and Idaho. His practice focuses on civil litigation in both state and federal courts on behalf of construction industry and government contract clients.
John's construction law practice includes claim preparation, litigation, and dispute resolution on public and private projects. He has substantial experience in mediation, arbitration, and litigation representing owners, prime contractors, subcontractors, and suppliers. His areas of expertise also include contract drafting and negotiation, project performance disputes, delay and impact claims, mechanic’s liens, bond claims, stop notices, and prompt payment issues.
John is experienced in public procurement matters, including competitive bidding and bid protests, requests for equitable adjustment, and pursuing contract claims and appeals before the Boards of Contract Appeals.
John also counsels small businesses and individual entrepreneurs in commercial and corporate matters, including business formation and planning, contract drafting and negotiation, and licensing. He represents digital media entrepreneurs and IT consultants in contract negotiations, deal-making, and dispute resolution.
Prior to 2005, John split careers working as an attorney in Los Angeles, California, and as a nonprofit advocate/executive director in Washington, D.C. and Seattle, Washington. His non-profit work focused on environmental issues and his California law practice focused on real estate, community redevelopment, and eminent domain litigation.
- Idaho (currently inactive)
- U.S. District Court, District of Idaho
- U.S. District, Western and Eastern Districts of Washington
- U.S. District, Southern, Central, and Northern Districts of California
- U.S. District Court, Nevada
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- Washington State Bar Association, Construction Law Section
- King County Bar Association
- Associated General Contractors of Washington, Legal Affairs Committee
- California State Bar Association
- Forum on the Construction Industry, American Bar Association